Sharjah has some of the most interesting facts and figures to show when it comes to the past, present and futuristic vision of the emirates of UAE. The first being the fact that Sharjah is the first ever emirate to develop an airport in the entire Gulf region. The ruling family of the emirate’s current ruler Highness Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi has been ruling since 1600AD. The first evidence of the human life in UAE was discovered in Sharjah’s Jebel Fayah dating back to around 85000BC.
- Sharjah is the only emirate that shares its borders with all the remaining emirates of UAE and therefore, is known as the ‘neighborly place’.
- The meaning behind the name ‘Sharjah’ is the rising sun in Arabic language.
- Much before the likes of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, it was Sharjah which established the very first airport of the gulf region, now known as the Sharjah international airport.
- As a recognition to its unprecedented efforts towards restoring the Arabian culture and traditions, UNESCO has named Sharjah as the cultural capital of UAE.
- Sharjah was the first ever emirate to start providing education to women in the year 1942. The first ever municipality, library and school was established in Sharjah itself.
- Although UAE is the third biggest emirate of UAE, it occupies a total area of only 3% of the country. the entire emirate of Sharjah comes within 90 square miles.
- The city is well known in the middle east for its advance healthcare and state of art emergency services. Sharjah runs a billion-dollar healthcare industry.