Here are some interesting known facts pertaining to Macau:
- 50% of Macau’s residents are Buddhists.
- Several 4,000 years old ceramic works of art were excavated from Macau’s largest natural beach, Hac Sa (Black Sandy Bay).
- 95% of Macau’s total population is Chinese
- Macau is the only city in China where gambling is not only allowed but is a large part of the city’s economy.
- Macau’s residents speak a Portuguese dialect called "Macanese Portuguese".
- Macau has the world's highest population density per square kilometer
- Macau is home to the largest casino in the world - the Venetian Macao, owned by the Las Vegas Sands. This casino is located in the largest single structure hotel building in Asia, whose floor area measurements make it the sixth-largest building in the world.
- As a Portuguese colony, Macau was used as a human trafficking point for Chinese slaves to Portugal.
- The Grand Canal shopping center is the largest indoor shopping mall in Macau, measuring at 968,000 square feet.