The city of Kuala Lumpur is sized at 94 square miles with an elevation of 72 feet above the sea level. Even after so much of developments, the city is almost every year flooded during the rainy season. Kuala Lumpur was under the rule of the Japanese army from January 11th 1942 till August 1945. The reign ended with the surrender of SeishirÅ Itagaki following the nuclear attacks of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The federation of Malaya gained independence from the British rule in the year 1957.
- Kuala Lumpur literally means a muddy junction between two rivers. The name was so gives because the city is located at the junction of Gombak River and Klang River.
- Kuala Lumpur is home to the world’s tallest twin towers- Petronas towers. It has a double decker bridge that connects the buildings on its 41st and 42nd floors. This magnificent building was built in a short span of just 6 years.
- The city of Kuala Lumpur is fondly known as KL and the residents of the city are called KLites.
- Thanks to the tropical rainforest climate, flooded streets with submerged vehicles is a common sight in Kuala Lumpur almost every year.
- The Kuala Lumpur tower is the world’s seventh tallest tower. It is the tallest telecommunication tower in Southeast Asia
- Kuala Lumpur is fondly called as the shopping paradise and is the retail hub of Malaysia. The city has the 4th largest shopping mall in the world with a total area of 5000 sq ft
- Kuala Lumpur, one of the fastest growing cities in the world, was not even a city until 1972. It acquired the status of a city in 1972.